Eidos Lunch- Julia Gillard
- it’s all about measurable outcomes and transparency
- there’ll be a website called myschool
- schools will have to produce buckets of data so that all and sundry, particularly parents, but including the media can compare like with like on the site
- while she’s handing out the money, the schools, State education bureaucracies and the teachers’ unions better get used to it (although of course she was much more diplomatic than that)
- while it is terrible and unacceptable for a child to go to a school with poor outcomes, it is worse when the parents of the child do not have enough information available to them to know that it is a school with poor outcomes.
And the lunch got better than that. I was lucky to sit with a few fellow Twitterers one of whom, Jackie Ewart, has written a book about the Haneef saga, and then maaged to have a yarn with Graham Young, the founder of Online Opinion. All great stimulating stuff for the grey matter.